[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:19:47 -0700

I believe that one of the reasons that some large companies have not seen any value in GMPI is that they don't see any need for interoperability in this arena, unlike with MIDI or IPv6. They regard their applications as platforms (in some cases, like Apple or MS, they actually ARE platforms). They see little benefit in encouraging multi-platform development - they would prefer to win the platform battle and make everyone write to their platform.
I think it is incumbent on those of us who do not share this view to make it crystal clear why a common multi-platform plugin system is beneficial to all.

So in that spirit I want to start a list of the points in favor of a standardized, multi-platform plugin environment in hopes of producing a document which might persuade some of the reluctant MMA members (I am assuming here that all of the companies in question primarily develop hosts):

- Widest possible variety of 3rd party plugins available for your host. This may be of particular interest to hardware developers who rarely have had access to 3rd party plugin innovation.

- Lower development costs since you only need to support one plugin API.

- Never having to support a plugin API controlled by a competitor.

- No developer support required since you do not control the API.

- Increased ability to create a single working environment for your customers. Currently, customers may need multiple hosts in order to access plugins or specific features only available on particular hosts. In the GMPI environment, particularly with nested hosts, the user can stay within their chosen host for all operations.

- A chance to discard legacy baggage accumulated over a number of years within your own proprietary API.

Please add to this list is you see other benefits to companies with established hosts and/or plugin APIs.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems