[gmpi] Re: 8a.0 What is a Parameter?

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 02:10:43 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>

> > > * Parameters must be independant of each other.
> >
> > I think that these are both totally vague statements, and the discussion
> > of this point should begin with someone saying what inter-parameter
> > dependencies and a general concept of its implementation.  If no one has
> > such desires, then I guess that means that parameters will be
independent,
> > which may be fine.  But I have a feeling that Koen might have more to
say
> > about this...  ;-)
>
> What I meant was that if I save and restore parameters, the order in which
> restore them should not matter.  If setting A changes B, then I must
restore
> them in a specific order.

OK. That should be true indeed.

As for parameter dependencies when actually changing parameters, is this on
the table now? To be clear: if I change parameter A, and parameter B also
changes as a result of that, does that need to be specified in advance in
the parameter properties, or will it be handled using some kind of
notification scheme?

> > nesting.  Parameters descriptions can indicate that a parameter is a
> > member of a clump by specifying a clump ID, and then the plugin can
supply
> > a list of clump IDs with names for each clump.  This allows for the
> > possibility of much better generic interfacing to the plugin (like
> > providing parameter list with well-organized sub-menus, arranging
> > parameters in logical groups in a generic GUI, etc.).

Really makes me think of OSC, so I'll repost this from a while back:
"In this context, maybe OSC (Open Sound Control) can be interesting: it
allows you to set up a hierarchic structure of grouped parameters for
sending over streams (also network).
http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OSC "

Note that this is an *existing* protocol and is actually being used (amongst
others for controlling Flash animations, for controlling synthesizers, for
making connections for parameter control between EyesWeb and pd (also on
different machines!), ...)

Koen