[gmpi] Re: 8a.0 What is a Parameter?

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 02:46:54 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>

> The idea that always comes up is a mixer plugin.  You want to be able to
> have a dynamic number of slots (well, I do - I loathe hard limits).  I
want
> an infinite mixer.  And I want it to support mono, stereo, and 5.1 inputs.
> Each input type has a different slot.  Mono has 1 audio input, and a pan
> knob.  Stereo has 2 audio inputs and a balance knob.  5.1 has 6 audio
inputs
> and a whole other set of knobs.  I also want to support N busses.
>
> The plugin starts off as an empty chassis with a master bus.  Useless.
> Connect a mono signal means add a mono-slot module.  Connect a stereo
signal
> means add a stereo-slot module.  Add a bus means add a bus module.
>
> This way parameters and I/O are defined into modules which can be added
and
> removed.  It solves the problem of mutiple I/O nicely.  It can be used to
> handle multi-timbrality (load another channel module).  Many plugins will
> just have 1 module (master) or none at all, if we were to allow that.  A
> reverb could load a mono or stereo module, depending on what was
connected.

> Maybe it is too complex, but (as someone said wrt baton-passing) it
fulfills
> a computer-sciency sense of completeness.  It makes things VERY flexible
in
> the future.  I don't personally think that it complicates things too much,
> conceptually.  It lets me think of a plugin as a chassis with slots.  Each
> slot can load one of the various modules in the plugin.

I'm all for, like the flexibility and indeed it doesn't complicate too much,
does it?
But I think this can also be done using the string/tree representation:
/stereo1/balance
/stereo1/gain
/mono1/pan
/mono1/gain
/5.1surround1/...
/5.1surround1/...
/5.1surround1/...
This also needs parameters to be dynamic.

Koen