[gmpi] 8a.0 What is a Parameter?

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:54:10 -0600

From Tim:

8a.0) Define "parameter".

In XAP we called these 'controls'. My spin (off the top of my head):

* A parameter is an explicity exported representation of some variable(s)
  inside a plugin.

* Parameters may represent things like knobs on hardware, plugs in a CV
  module, coefficients of algorithms, or more abstract values like tempo or
  MIDI controllers.

* The set of exported parameters are a snapshot of the current state of a
  plugin.

* Saving and restoring a full set of parameters is sufficient to resotre the
  state of a plugin 'patch'.

This can work if one of the parameter types is arbitrary data (this is a term that Premiere and AfterEffects use in their API's). Basically, in addition to the host-intelligible parameters, a plugin can have arb data parameters, which is basically an opaque chunk. VST has a variation on this with its getChunk and setChunk functions, but they are split off from being parameters, and therefore cannot change over time. This can actually be a very powerful mechanism, because it means that plugins are not limited to the data types that GMPI provides. This can allow us to keep the data type list short. For example, lets say a plugin has a user-editable frequency representation using an FFT. Rather than expose 1024 float parameters for bin volume, which would be unuseable in a host expecting 10 parameters or so, the plugin exposes 1 arb data parameter. These can only be set using UI that the plugin provides, but it means that the host can still automate the fft shape without knowing anything about it.

* Parameters must be independant of each other.

Is this necessary? I'm not sure that it is.

* Parameters can change in real-time.

I would add:

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems