[gmpi] Re: 8a.0 What is a Parameter?

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:00:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Frederic Vanmol <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > seconded. its a major difficulty with supporting complex LADSPA
> > plugins: generating a generic GUI is more or less impossible (steve's
> > "hermes" plugin has more than 50 parameters IIRC ...)
>
> I don't really understand. Why do you need better generic interfaces for
> plugins? If a plugin is complex, the author should provide an interface
> for it, in my opinion.

But realize that there will always be generic interfaces.  A plugin's
custom graphical editor is not its only interface.  Some users use MIDI
control surfaces, which are a generic interface.  For interfacing with
parameter/control automation data, many hosts provide menus or lists of
some sort of automatable parameters.  With some lower level hosts, like
Max/MSP for example, you must use generic interfacing to connect with the
other control mechanisms in the host.  And so forth, you get the idea, and
that's why this stuff matters.

Marc

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com