[geocentrism] Re: Puzzle

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:57:25 +0000 (GMT)

Greetings all

I must say I'm dissappointed to see so many erudite folk needing help in what I
thought to be a simple task! OK here it is -- attached.

Martin -- if you are interested, the c++ source of the executable you can't run
can be obtained from the same site as I mentioned -- (
http://www.fourmilab.ch/codegroup/ ). Not immediately suitable for a MAC but
probably responsive to massage. It may not be useful to you or you may not be
interested but there it is anyway.

Wondrous Pot - Solution

The king reasoned thus -

At a purchase price of $1250.000, the pot could be sold (each time for less
than the acquisition price) a maximum of 1249999 times. This represented many
ownership cycles and included the possibility of re-acquisition and re-sale if
the need arose to meet some unforseen eventuality.

However, at some time in the distant future, after many buy-sell cycles, the
price at which the pot must be offered would reach the lower limit of $0.001.
At this price, no one would buy it because it could not then be sold, thus
condemning its owner to the fires of hell upon his enevitable death.

If no one would buy the pot at $0.001, then at the offering price of $0.002,
any prospective purchaser would be aware that he would not find a subsequent
buyer at $0.001 and thus no buyer would be found at $0.002 either. The same
reasoning applies to prospective buyers at the asking price of $0.003 and by
extension all previous asking prices.

Thus the king, knowing that he would not find a buyer, also did not buy.