[gameprogrammer] Re: What do the new processors mean for game programming?

  • From: "Evan Stone" <recombinantstudios@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:04:03 -0800

> if an AI could be set up on
> a different thread, which is not framerate dependent, then the game
> could appear more intelligent.

Funny you guys should mention this, since I was just reading an article
about this kind of thing the other day. If you have the September 2004 issue
of Game Development magazine, in the "Inner Product" column Sean Barrett
talks about using multithreading for AI. He discusses using cooperative
multithreading, however, instead of pre-emptive, so his perspective is a bit
different. It just brought up a few questions in my mind, since I've never
done any type of multithreading programming yet.

It got the gears going however. ;)

evan stone | recombinant