[gameprogrammer] Re: What do the new processors mean for game programming?

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:49:21 -0600

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 22:46 +0000, Robert Chafer wrote:
> Very interesting question, and not only for games programming. Not
> only is thread programming poorly understood (generally) and ...
> difficult.

Yes!

> Also, the multi-core technologies will allow threading
> models that are really completely different to current ones. The close
> coupling of the cores will mean very (very) fast signalling and
> sharing of information.

Very interesting point. You are correct, due to being on the same chip
and perhaps sharing a common cache interprocessor signaling times will
drop to an all time low. Hmmm, what does that mean? I think it means
that it will be practical to use threads for very fine grained tasks.

Gotta think about that one. Thanks for point this out.

                Bob Pendleton