[gameprogrammer] Re: What do the new processors mean for game programming?

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:01:40 -0600

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 14:19 -0800, Evan Stone wrote:
> > It seems to me that most programming languages currently in use have
> > little to no built in support for multithreaded programming. Java is the
> > only one I can think of.
>
> ..and the .NET platform + languages as well (C#, VB, C++, etc.).

I'm no expert on C# or VB so I can't comment on those languages.

As far as I can determine the only support for threads in standard C/C++
is the "volatile" storage class modifier. In fact, I was thinking about
C and C++ when I wrote what I wrote. Standard C and C++ have near zero
support for threads in the language.

It wasn't that long ago when it was hard to get a thread safe runtime
library for those languages.

                Bob Pendleton