[gameprogrammer] Re: best software

  • From: Nick Howes <csucew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 14:15:57 +0000

floyd_fr wrote:

>hi,
>is opengl easier than directx ?
>is opengl has more power than directx ?
>if you want to make a game, which one do you choose ? opengl or directx ?

For a start, if you want to run on anything other than Windows then your
choice is pretty much OpenGL :)

I haven't really used OpenGL but have heard the API for it tends to make
more sense, so in that way it could be easier (it may be a different
matter if you compare to the new "managed" DirectX).

None is really more powerful than the other. DirectX may give more
control over things like shaders when it comes to graphics on Windows,
but they both pretty much both just do whatever your 3D card is capable
of. So it's just a matter of whichever one you like to code in, and
whether you want to make a game that could work on other platforms.