[gameprogrammer] Re: Something to check out

  • From: Paulo Pinto <pjmlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:56:55 +0000

Because it's M$, I guess.

In any case it's not that hard to set up everything.

1 - Download the VC++ toolkit;
2 - Download the platform SDK;
3 - Download the .Net SDK;
4 - Create a batch file that sets all the required
  variables;
5 - Create a shortcut to cmd that uses the batch
  file to set up the environment.

Use whatever IDE you feel comfortable with.
Vim, XEmacs, UltraEdit, Eclipse, whatever.

Is this a pain to set up? Yes, but it's only
problematic if you're a newbie. I think most
C/C++ users will be competent enough to do
these steps.

What do you gain by doing all of this stuff
instead of just using Dev-C++, mingw?

Better compatibility with windows libraries.
You only have to set this once, then any code
that you get for windows works out of the box.
Unless it uses MFC, ATL, but that's a whole
different story.

For instance I never know where to find the
latest DX version compatible with Dev-C++.
With the M$ soluction, things just work.

Just my 0.02?