[gameprogrammer] Re: Something to check out

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:01:08 -0600

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 19:24 -0400, Kevin Fields wrote:
> I recently (meaning today) found out that Microsoft is releasing their
> Visual C++ 2003 IDE for free.

Huh, interesting. I can think of several reasons to do it. I can spin
theories all day!

The cost of MS development tools has been the reason that things like
OpenWatcom and DevC++ have become so popular. And, I have heard that the
cost of MS development tools is one of the things driving adoption of
Linux in governments and in third world countries.

OTOH, Bill Gates just committed $750 million to vaccinating children
world wide. May be he is just feeling generous this week.

> Not sure if anyone else knew about that, but
> here're the links. I just thought I'd inform people.

Is that the latest version of VC++? Or an older version?

> Visual C++ 2003 - http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
> Visual C++ 2003 Debugger - http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/
>
> That's right, MS has decided to NOT include the debugger with the VC++ 2003
> toolkit. No idea why they did that. But, oh well. At least it's free now.

Are they charging for the debugger?

> Kevin

        Bob Pendleton