[gameprogrammer] Re: PC game Outsourcing

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:02:41 -0500

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 11:43, Marco Alvarado wrote:
> I don't see why talking about war could be out of the
> game programming thread, since many games actually use
> the war topic: strategy games, shoters, etc. But
> anyway, this is my last post about it. So I want to
> let everyone go with an example:
>
> If war is the major developer of technology, it would
> be good for the world to have a huge war. Let's take a
> rich country that have shown to take advantage of war
> to create technology. Let's take... United States! Ok,
> United States will make a war with... Mexico! Great,
> because from this war Unitedstatians will get the Cure
> for Cancer, and Mexicans will get the Atomic Weapon.
> The world is enhancing. Now United States will fight
> with... Canada! Wonderful, they got the Time Travel
> (since this war was more difficult), and Canadians get
> the Cure for AIDS! Cool, it's the game of our lives!

Well, no... It doesn't work that way. The two sides have to be pretty
well balanced or else it is just a walk over. The US versus the EU,
Russia, or China might be a reasonable balance. The war on terror is a
balance because the enemy is invisible.

The trouble is that now the dangers of a war between any of those groups
is so huge that we don't have direct wars any more. We can't afford too.

OTOH, the "War On Terror" resulted in a *huge* increase in the US
military budget (now bigger than the total military budget of every
other country on Earth, combined) and the result is that weapons such as
neural whips, heat beams, and laser artillery, are expect to be deployed
during the next 2 to 10 years. They just announced the development of
fluid body armor and powered suits are coming along just fine. Looks
like the Japanese are going after the civilian market for those while
the US is sewing up the military market.

All those cool toys you get in video games will be on the battle field
any day now.

                Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ blog:  www.Stonewolf.net             +