[gameprogrammer] Re: PC game Outsourcing

  • From: Bernhard Bliem <bernhard.bliem@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:51:04 +0200

Hi.

You said software development would be cheaper in those listed countries
  and that they had a lower standard of living. I doubt that very much.
Germany, UK, Canada and France have in fact not a very bad one. I know
Germany very well, and I can tell you that the pollution is quite low.
On the other hand, regarding to some reports, the air pollution, for
example, is FAR higher in the USA. I think it's the same in Canada,
France and the UK.
Some of your points might apply to China, but this isn't easy to judge,
as it's still in a phase of development. Of course they will have a very
strong economy, but boycotting their products can't be the right way to
strenghten the own.
I consider the idea of "boycotting non-US products" stupid. If other
countries would boycott US products, they would be called
"anti-american" and probably be soon on the list of rogue states.
However, I don't want to start an "anti-american" flamewar now. I think
the problems you mention just result from the way capitalism works.
BTW, I don't think the game developing industry is that bad in the US.
There are still lots of companies based in the USA. You have probably
more developers than any other country.
Actually, this is more a mail about politics than one related to game
development. I'm sorry if that sounded like a flame post. Just my two cents.

Regards,
Bernhard