[gameprogrammer] Re: PC game Outsourcing

  • From: "Jason Clark" <jclark@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:42:47 -0700

I'm going back to school for Biology in hopes my programming will help make
me more valuable there.
One of the things I hadn't considered while whining about my company
offshoring all of our non-management positions was how it affects the H1Bs.
Before you start screaming, please read on...
While a few of my coworkers don't care much for them, I personaly, have
never had issue with non-resident workers and have always figured that if
they got a job because they were better than me then 'Hey' I need to get
back to the books and get better then them. A very good friend and a truly
gifted engineer I work with is from India and he was just shaking his head
about the whole offshoring thing. In his case, he worked extra hard, was in
the top 10% of all of his classes, came to the United States and continued
to be at the top, and now, the people who slept through class back home will
get his job, or at the very least, devalue it substantially.
Now that's a bummer!

Jason.