[gameprogrammer] Re: PC game Outsourcing

  • From: "Kevin Fields" <drunkendruid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:05:21 -0300

That's something I have to agree with, wholeheartedly. As someone just about
to leave school from a specialized course for game development, I still have
my reservations about whether I'd be able to get a job right away. My case
is a little different from my classmates, as I've dabbled in things more
than they have, and I have years of prior experience, but I'm still afraid
that I'll not be able to get a job.

One thing I've noticed from EVERY job posting that I've read, is that 3+
years of previous experience in the industry is REQUIRED, as well as a
degree in computer science. Now, explain to me how I can ever hope to
accomplish that if EVERY company is looking for that. That's not too
encouraging now, is it? Everyone wants top-notch people; the best the
business has to offer. And they won't accept anything less. That's why I
think most companies are leaving the US, because they haven't even tapped
the resources in other countries.

I watched a documentary on TV about a Chinese game development school, and
some of their students' work was amazing! There's also the fact that people
only seem to like certain styles of games, and the companies that make those
games do very well. But when a smaller company tries to sell the idea or
product to a publisher, and they're turned away because there's something
better out on the market they're trying for. To me, this seems to be the
decade of sequels. How many sequels to a high-selling game have you seen
come out the past few years?

Another thing, publishers charge too damned much. There's no ifs, ands, or
buts about it. People don't want to pay for games for that reason. And it's
not going to get better on either side. Publishers complain that people
aren't paying, so they're losing money and have to charge more... Consumers
are complaining that the publishers charge too much, and so they refuse to
pay. And it goes on and on and on...

From: "Jason Clark" <jclark@xxxxxxxx>
To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gameprogrammer] Re: PC game Outsourcing
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:32:12 -0700

The one thing about off-shoring that I worry about is that when a company
like mine contracts overseas, the local work force they hire are senior
engineers and management types to watch over quality and bring the end
result together. What gets lost is the entry level positions, the kids right
out of school, where will they get their opportunity to become a senior
engineer?  I fear that local companies who don't invest a little in the
local work force will find that in another 10 years the workers they do have
available will be so poorly skilled and so distant from the 'cutting edge'
that they won't even be able to compete with foreign markets.
Just a thought,
Jason.