[gameprogrammer] Re: Easy to use sound engine

  • From: "Michael Sew" <mikesew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:57:15 -0700

SDL_mixer, from what I've read of it, is fairly simple but I've read enough
things to scare me away from using it as a serious base to start.  I've
actually been seeing a lot of concensus talk in the forums about using fmod
, which seems to be pretty powerful.

I hear fmod gives the doppler effect stuff that openAL gives you as well.
Not sure.

And think of it this way--it'll be a good chance to practice modularizing
your code so as to block sound functions into a "black box" class called
CSoundEngine (or similar), which does your standard Load() , Play(), Stop(),
etc.  so it doesn't really matter which back-end you're using.