[gameprogrammer] Re: GAME School

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:12:11 -0500

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 09:44, Chris Nystrom wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, tristan drago wrote:
>
> > I feel strong about going to UAT (university of technology) in tempe az.
> > They give you an option between which classes you choose for your
> > bachlors.  for instance they offer both game desgin and game
> > programming. Now i have the choice to select 70% game programming 30%
> > game designing, i can do this also like 60-40 50-50 etc.  Now I"ve been
> > reasearching on becoming a game programmer for a couple of years now,
> > ive decided to go for it.  is there advice i can have about the class
> > difficulty? and about the job in itself? anything please!......thankyou.
> > ps.  UAT seems like a good school....what you say? and should i just go
> > 100% game programming?
>
> This is just a specific case of the more general question of what should I
> major in?
>
> The short answer is to take _what interests you_. Follow your passions.
>
> Even if game programming is the better carrer choice, you will be more
> successfull taking game design, if that is where your passion is.
>
> Further, it is not as important a decision as you might think. I was a
> history major. I have not done a lick of history since I graduated
> except to read many good books on the subject. The main reason I
> picked history to major in was because it had many electives, so I
> could take what I wanted to. They sure looked at me funny in chem class
> when I told them I was a history major.
>
> After I graduated college, I was an officer in the Navy, and now I am a
> system admin for Oracle, niether of which had any direct connection to
> what a majored on in school. However, the fact that I went to school and
> completed a program was a big plus factor in my opinion.

I'll second that, but you should not underestimate the value of military
experience. Especially military experience as an officer. Employers look
at that and say, this guy can be trusted, this guy has discipline, this
guy can make (and keep) a commitment, and this guy can adapt to tough
situations. I have no military experience myself, but I have seen this
effect everywhere I have ever worked.

                Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ blog:  www.Stonewolf.net             +