[frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - Sept. 15, 2011

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:57:44 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

That would be great!

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Zimmerman
Sent: Sep 21, 2011 9:10 AM
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - Sept. 15, 2011

If no one else wants to tackle it, let me know and I'll swing over and configure it...

Richard

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Phil and I pulled the server out of the rack, wiped the 40 GB drive, installed the 160 GB drive and loaded Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS.

The server has a DNS problem. Ubuntu Server is enough different from Slackware that I couldn't resolve the issue. I manually configured eth0 and the default gateway, and at that point I could ping 4.2.2.2 but not yahoo.com. Creating an /etc/resolve.conf file (there was none) didn't fix DNS. I tried several /etc/resolve.conf nameserver IP addresses from vendors we use at work (AT&T, OpenDNS, Omnicity wireless), but none worked. Resolve.conf is readable by user, group and world.

I don't want to put any more time into the server at work so I'll bring it to the workshop Thursday. Hopefully someone is more familiar with Debian/Ubuntu server installs than me and can quickly fix the problem.

Tom --

Phil Goldbach wrote:
Well, the 160 GB IDE drive I have did come in from a donation to FGM, so it's only fair that since I'm not using it that I bring it back in. It's a Western Digital WD1600, came in the Alienware tower that worked fine at the shop but died once I hooked it up at home. Plus the Dell Optiplex that I'm using now utilizes SATA for the hard drives, and has a Western Digital 160 GB in it as well. I still have a 200 GB IDE hard drive, but I'm keeping that.

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

   Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:30:21 -0400
   From: ke4rit@xxxxxxxxx
   To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

   I know what I posted before (didn't catch the 40g for 2007) do we
   know about what size drive we need for the mirror. I think I might
   have drives large enough to test with here first...

   Richard

   On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Tom Brown
   <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   </mc/compose?to=tbrown@riverbendhose.com>> wrote:

   There is a 1U Supermicro headless server with Ubuntu Server 10.04
   LTS installed and patched. At idle or full gallop it probably uses
   less energy than the workshop server so it could be a good choice
   for 24/7 use. Drawback: It needs a bigger HD.

   I’m guessing it isn’t possible to download and install the initial
   mirror in one warehouse session so your offer to do those tasks
   looks helpful.

   Tom --

   *From:* frgeek-michiana-bounce@freelists.org
   </mc/compose?to=frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>