[frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - Sept. 15, 2011

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:40:45 -0400

I used the script I found on this
(http://xlylith.blogspot.com/2006/02/size-of-ubuntu-repository.html) page to
check. Table is below. Looking at only 10.04 32-bit binaries it will be about
45-50G. The 64-bit binaries are only slightly larger. I don't see a reason to
mirror source, so I didn't check sizes there. We would need additional disk
space for the host OS.
When I mentioned a "reference box" I was addressing the need if we were using a
package caching server instead of a mirror. While the repositories are actually
smaller than what I had thought, we will really only need a very small fraction
of what is available. Using a caching server instead of a mirror, we should be
able to fit both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on Tom's existing hard drive.
Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to me which way we decide to go on this.
i386-binary lucid main - 7.5Gi386-binary lucid restricted - < 1Gi386-binary
lucid universe - 22.8Gi386-binary lucid multiverse - 2.6G
i386-binary lucid-updates main - 6.4Gi386-binary lucid-updates restricted - <
1Gi386-binary lucid-updates universe - 1.5Gi386-binary lucid-updates multiverse
- < 1G
i386-binary lucid-security main - 4.1Gi386-binary lucid-security restricted - <
1Gi386-binary lucid-security universe - < 1Gi386-binary lucid-security
multiverse - < 1G
Tony

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:30:21 -0400
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - Sept. 15, 2011
From: ke4rit@xxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know what I posted before (didn't catch the 40g for 2007) do we know about
what size drive we need for the mirror. I think I might have drives large
enough to test with here first...

Richard

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is a 1U Supermicro headless server
with Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS installed and patched. At idle or full gallop it
probably uses less energy than the workshop server so it could be a good choice
for 24/7 use. Drawback: It needs a bigger HD.

I’m guessing it isn’t possible
to download and install the initial mirror in one warehouse session so your
offer to do those tasks looks helpful.

Tom --

From:
frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx