[frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - Sept. 15, 2011

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 12:45:05 -0400

Actually no. The mirror maintainer runs a nightly script that keeps the
mirror in sync with the mater builds. When install a new Ubuntu install, you
over-ride the default mirrors in favor or your mirror. This way, you keep
the the traffic local and because you run nightly updates to the mirror it
the updates are also already local...

You don;t need a "Reference box" at all... Take the warehouse server and
make it a straight Ubuntu install and add the server tasks to it. Install
the mirror on the warehouse server and your job is done.

Richard

/ If it helps I have 15/3 Comcast internet again I can blast down the
initial mirror build if it helps...

// Would probably recommend changing the warehouse server to Ubuntu so
everything is on the same page...

/// Is anyone maintaining the warehouse server anymore?

<Tony Wrote>
One thing to consider, though, is that package upgrades will be downloaded
on demand rather than proactively. That could mean that patches take longer
to download than we have time to apply them before we close the warehouse
for the night. Perhaps we can have a reference box running in a virtual
machine that can download patches during off hours so they are ready when
the warehouse opens?
</Tony>

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman, ke4rit