Re: [foxboro] network storm

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:37:03 -0500

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:20:26PM -0600, Corey R Clingo wrote:
> I'm sorry it happened to you.  I don't have a mesh system, so I obviously
> haven't experienced this.
>
> But I have to reiterate this thought, and others are free to chime in on
> it:
>

> *** It's not a good idea, or a good design, to cross-connect your two
> "redundant" networks. ***

I respect your opinion on all things Foxboro Corey, but on this one i feel
obligated to argue for the other side :-)

The mesh (properly implemented) _should_ be the a _very_ reliable
communications network. I am certain that you have seen "pictures" of the
Internet. That is how the mesh is _supposed_to work, It's the job of the
piece of equipment holding a given packet to forward it to something that is
"network closer" to the target. It's called a packet switches network, and
the Internet is the large scale proof of concept that it works.

I will grant you thta it works better on larger networks than smaller ones,
as there are normally more available paths from distant locations. Still I
really think thta the mesh is an excellent design decision.

The reason for the "properly implemented" caveat is that I don't have one of
these that I am responsible for, so my knowledge of these systems is based
solely on sales efforts, which, of course, are always suspect.

programs.