[foxboro] network storm

  • From: Michael Jaudon <mjaudon2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:26:42 -0600

We experienced a first for our plant site today.  We had all workstations,
on the mesh side of the network, to "smurf" out.  Upon visually checking our
ZCP270s I noticed that of each of the ZCP270s had gone single with it's
associated FT module gone to red/green.
Looking at the switches...we have 3 sets of switches including the root
switch.  On each of the switches the lights were all flashing rapidly and in
unison.  It wasn't until we cycled the power on the root switches (one at a
time) that the network came back.

Talking to our field service rep...he said the situation we had was a
"network storm".  The cause is unknown.

My question is has anyone ever experienced a "network storm" on a mesh
network and if so what caused it?

Our mesh network has been in operation since Oct 2008 and this is the first
issue we have had with it.

We are running a Mesh Network version 8.4.1.

--
Mike Jaudon
Tronox, LLC