Re: [foxboro] Upgrading Foxboro AW from P91, (Dell 2800), to P91,(Dell 2900), 2003 Server

  • From: "Larsen, Ed" <ed.larsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 16:15:21 -0500

¡©ò¢Ø^®-«² Blackberry

What I said was you can easily restore between like hardware. i.e. P92 to P92
IF they are like i.e. PW370 to PW370.

As for nics. It is best to move the nics from the old box to the new box as
long as like hardware. i.e. PCI NIC to PCI NIC. If you just gotta replace the
nic, then you need FAQ140. I searched for MAC_ALT and it was the first hit. Now
for the disclaimer: You are editing the registry. Export it first. Back up the
box with BESR first. I have used this FAQ extensively during a recent upgrade
that we had to build prior to the outage.

I am a Resident at a site with 150+ P92's and about 20 P91 and P90's. They are
all backed up weekly with BESR. Have never had an issue with the backups. I
have restored at least 100 maybe 200 times. Test Bed work, upgrade work, couple
of boxes that died. I have only had issues restoring 2 types of P92. PW340 -
You have to load the Integrated Nic driver off the BESR Recovery cd. I have a
procedure for it I will share if you have to restore PW340's. The other issue I
have had is on PW380 with 4GB memory. When booting the BESR Recovery cd, it
will blue screen. Remove 2GB of memory and it will boot and restore fine. After
restore, pop the 2GB back in and reboot all is well. Car has been written and
qualified. Symantec syas they cannot duplicate please send us a box. See it
AIN'T just IPS that says that. :)

As for Aim* hostid, this is based on the SID when the Operating system is
loaded. That is why when you use the Dell Restore Cd, it runs SID walker at the
end generating what is supposed the be a unique SID.

AS for the issue discussed extensively last week about loading a backup of a
P91-3800 on a P91-2900. It isn't going to work as you found out. Registry, etc.
With the image browser in BESR, you can restore files/directories easily and
quickly. You can double click on the back up file for the C: drive or the D:
drive and navigate the backup just like using Explorer and you restore them to
the same location or a different location.

There was a question about getting old hardware. IPS does maintain a stock of
P90, P9, P93, for MEP purposes for Contract customers. I have not had an issue
ordering a box against the contract.

Regards,

Ed