Re: [foxboro] Upgrading Foxboro AW from P91, (Dell 2800), to P91,(Dell 2900), 2003 Server

  • From: Ron Schafer <rschafer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:23:20 -0500

Well it seems that while I have been gone to tend to the ferrets and chickens a
topic of great pain for myself has been hashed around. I can verify to all as
first hand information that a P91-2800 to p91-2900 will restore just fine. The
problem will surface when you reboot and all you get is the familiar "BLUE
SCREEN OF DEATH". We just shipped back a 2800 after spending many weeks getting
the 2900 up to speed. (sorry Fox for not returning it sooner...) Yes the pain
was felt with the Day 0 and many installs and reboots as it too was the boot
host and RDP server and backup OPC server and Foxray server and and and and the
list goes on....and on...and on.
So for those about to try it, I did a ghost backup(of each partition to keep
the filesize smaller) to a extra HD on the 2800, rebooted into windows, and
copied them off to an extra harddrive on the 2900. This allowed for a image
that we can pull files from in the future if we need to and its on a local
drive to the 2900. Yes we had to Day 0 the machine, however doing a Restore of
the D partition did work. However, I was very carefull to make sure no ICC
changes were made between the removal of the 2800 and installation of the 2900
as that would lead to corrupt workfiles, or so I am told. Also, we did swap
ethernet cards just for the sake of the mac address issue. We have recently
upgraded to 8.4.2 and continue to run without issues of major concern. This was
a fairly painless procedure once we gave up on the total ghost restore idea and
followed some basic rules.