Re: Fix for Freedesktop Invocation

  • From: systemdkiosk@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 00:37:36 +0000

> it's not sensible for a file manager to
> also manage a desktop

Other FMs handle desktop icons, including the Big
Ones from GNOME and KDE, so your opinion is exceptional.

When it comes to icons, no other app makes sense.
The "desktop" is just an idiom for file management.

It's just inotify-monitoring $XDG_DESKTOP_DIR and
drawing icons on X11 root window, recording user
positions in a store. That and XDnD about does it.

A lot of end users really like and organize on
desktops. I try to help.

iDesk is terribly old and stale, unmaintained now.
Rox is actually quite good in many respects but
forces you into its "universe of Rox" when you want
good MIME handling.

> If you've been following

Toolkit debate is ghastly boring. I know them all.
They're all broken.

SpaceFM was also talking about "the future"
toolkit decision, but its owner disappeared,
tired I guess. No more development.

I don't care what toolkit emelfm2 wants so long
as emelfm2 remains stable. Use anything, but
keep core logic decoupled from toolkit APIs
if you can.

Thank you for the feedback, Tom. If icons don't
appeal then go for the root/admin usage configs!
That'd be more useful to me.