[elky] Re: Non Elky Going to the Dogs

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:04:55 -0800

sounds good. I do not agree about discarded dogs, ours could not be better companions. Jake was a puppy (they had him listed at 47lbs and 8 months. We figured out real quick he was still a young puppy, and he's somewhere between 130 and 140 lbs now. Male German shepherds usually top out around 80 lbs. ) Ellie is somewhere between 5 and 7 and she follows me around. She's had a lot of mistreatment. Still runs and hides in total terror at the sound of a gun (it's hunting season for crying out loud). Still afraid of the camera. She did not like the movie 2012 at all. One day when I was walking her she alerted, not sure to what but she just flopped down in the yard in front of something. girl has been battered and abused, but she's coming around. We think she's a drop out from security school.

but you should do what you think it best for you. I just have a bias towards shelter dogs.

;Mary

Mary as you know I care a lot about dogs. They truly are our best friends. What I think would work for an old cripple like me would be a dog I could raise as my own. I found this to be the best way to have a truly obedient dog. To be true to your dog is the same responsibility as to a child and I have seen so many mistreated dogs that were poorly trained or even trained to be attack animals who have caused much trouble and even pain and death to adoptee families. So I will wait till next spring and spread the word to my rural neighbors that I want to adopt a puppy. A mixed breed like my Lady's dog Rocky would be ideal. Full grown about 150 lbs and lab and retriever mix (lab sire, retriever dam) makes a beautiful animal. I want my dog to be as my childhood friend "Lucky" who was with me from my 8th year to my 18th year. Lucky was closer to me than any of my family and I shall never forget him. He was a border collie and in many ways smarter than I was. We would hunt together, play together, and even work together. There is a great deal of difference between a dog who is loved and wanted from birth and the unfortunate discarded dogs in many shelters.
Thanks for your consideration.
Rick Draganowski