[duxuser] Re: Responding to E-mails posted to user lists.

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:23:17 -0500

Hello Steve:

May I suggest that you re-read the E-mail that I posted today.  I am
pretty certain that what I am saying is fairly clear.  But , let me
clarify what I wrote so that there is no misunderstanding.

Let's say, for example, that you had posted a message to the list.

Let's say, as happened to me, some individuals on the list replied to
you directly instead of replying to your original E-mail which, if
they had done so, their reply would have been returned to the list in
the normal way.

Let's say that the said E-mail contained information that they wanted
to share with other users on the list.

Let's say you accidentally forgot to forward the message to the list.

Let's say that you then responded to them through the user list and
not directly.

As you see, there is a break in the chain of responses and the message
thread then becomes disjointed.

I have been on user lists where this type of thing has happened and
gone through a ton of frustration when a message thread has really
become interesting and, just when you think you are going to get some
really useful information, you get either nothing or, the tail-end of
something that you were not part of.

Also an individual may respond directly to another individual in a way
that they would not have done so if they had responded to the original
posting through the list.  I am not suggesting that would be the case
on this list.

In summing up, what I am trying to ask for, is a level of consistency
by which everybody benefits and no one feels left out of the flow of
any information that might be of use to them.

Ok, enough prattling.

Have a nice weekend everybody.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber