[duxuser] Re: Responding to E-mails posted to user lists.

  • From: Sandy Rathjen <srathjen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:01 -0500

There is a manual?

I have found manuals for various equipment here in my office, and on line, occasionally, but is there a manual for the Duxbury translator? I have struggled through trial and error, and taken frustration breaks in which I go back to my trusty MegaDots because it has such an excellent help file. Duxbury, for all the good things it does, must do lots more than I know about. I do just the basics, and end up resorting to six-key entry most of the time. The help and descriptions I have found really don't help all that much ... how do I style a document to get it the way I want it, and where can I look to find the info?!

Could we leave the list as a friendly, and helpful resource? While friendly isn't necessary, I vote for it. I also think that even remotely related questions could be addressed. I'm not sure why people would rather post than look something up, but I suspect it is because they either don't have a manual, or they have tried what the manual says and it isn't doing what it is supposed to do. In other words, the user needs help. And that is worth our time, in my humble opinion.

Dave, if answering directly to people isn't acceptable, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't write to you, but that is something I might have done if you hadn't explained. (Not all of us are internet/email savvy!) Is it ever acceptable to answer directly? Is directly contacting someone from the list unacceptable? There must be some rules here...I guess that's kind of like a manual!!

Thanks for listening...
Sandy

info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

O.K. guys. Let's cool this down before it gets out of hand.

Dave brought up quite a valid point that just perhaps, we should make some effort to look at the manual for our embosser first.

Speaking as one of the list moderators, a DBT user, DBT help file author, embosser supplier, and a braille producer, I personally tend to agree that we should first try and make an effort to find what we need in the manual.

However, we do not wish to see people completely stuck, so if it's a last resort, please feel free to ask.

Now having said all that, I have been saying for a long time that embosser set
up questions and problems are one of the major support issues in my own
company.  These are being addressed as I write.  In the Help files, I am trying
to provide links to
manufacturers' web sites where accessible manuals may be downloaded.  There
will also be address, telephone, fax and e-mail details of manufacturers.  If
an embosser is no longer produced, then it is possible that we may be able to
locate a manual for
you.  (I have a few secret sources)

Additionally, DBT 10.5 is beginning to address the issue of what I call the, "Dog wagging the tail" so to speak. That is, DBT having more control over the embosser, so you have less to worry about, and can change sizes of paper and such like.

So can I just ask you all to hold on a little longer - we're getting there, and I know quite a few who will be burning the midnight oil this weekend getting the new release ready for beta testing.

George Bell.