[drivingpairs] Introduction

  • From: Whileaway3@xxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 02:04:04 EST

   I have just discovered this list. I was invited to introduce myself as I
joined. We live in central Indiana, with hopes of relocation southwards in a
few years. I have been driving my retired horses as singles with the intention
of training my other, younger horses with them. We currently own 13 horses,
with two foals expected in the spring.
    We have a jet black Sabino Missouri Foxtrotter mare who is supposedly
trained to drive, (I haven't tried her out yet) and her coming 2 year old
Chocolate Palomino filly, who matches in body-type and stride. I'm hoping for
good
things with this pair. Last weekend I also temporarily lost my mind and
purchased two bay Paso Fino fillies. (full sisters) The oldest filly is 21/2,
so we'll
start ground driving soon.  The yearling hasn't been handled AT ALL, but
loves those carrots. I know the Foxtrotters have a good mentality for
driving--the
Paso Finos are intelligent and seemingly calm at this point, LOL. The future
should be interesting.
    I was actually looking at pairs harness when I stumbled across this
group. I have two leather horse and one cob single harness. I am thinking of
going
to Beta for the pairs harness, for the maintenance factor. Then a person on
the Recreational Driving list recommended that I use collars--something I have
avoided because of fit. Since I don't do any "dirt work" would it be too bad to
drive the pair in breast straps instead of collars?