[drivingpairs] Introduction

  • From: "Karen Johnson" <kjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:22:37 -0700

I am a new member from western Nebraska in the foothills/high plains of the
Rockies. I have been driving for almost three years now, having ridden and
owned horses for over 40. I surprised myself by taking to driving
immediately and almost obsessively, and it has almost overtaken my riding at
this point.

I started by being a guest at a local driving club opening picnic drive. I
was given a quick lesson and handed a miniature horse and cart. I drove with
the group, getting on-the-drive instructions and was hooked! I took two of
my own miniature horses to a driving trainer the very next day and
participated in the training process. I then trained another mini myself and
drove him in parades all summer. I found, however, that the minis could not
handle the hills in our neighborhood and I soon tired of getting out and
walking. So, I sought and purchased a seasoned driving Welsh pony, cart and
harness and off we went! The next summer I took my riding, gaited gelding to
the trainer and he took to driving like a duck to water. He loves it! So,
yet another, larger cart and harness..you can see where this is all going..
By now, my husband, who had been watching all of this first with interest
and then growing alarm as the "hobby needs" increased, decided to get on the
band wagon. He purchased a Haflinger and a forecart, converted it to nonfarm
use and joined the driving club, too.

So, it has been fun and a continual process of learning. I am slowly
converting breast collar harnesses to neck collars and axle draught to give
our equines every advantage on our hills. I'm also working with a 4 year old
rescue Shetland who is almost ready to hitch and am starting my 5 year old
McCurdy gelding.

I am sorry this is so long-winded; I am usually a more succinct poster, but
I do have a question which precipitated my joining this list. I have been
disappointed that I cannot drive my minis in our terrain. I am thinking that
driving a pair or better yet, unicorn, with all in neck collars, would allow
me to cart them around the hills here. I have never seen a unicorn setup,
however, and need to know what is involved from the equipment and
temperament standpoint, all pros and cons, etc. before I take the next leap.
Any guidance, direction, links, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Karen Johnson (home website: www.twodoghoot.com <http://www.twodoghoot.com/>
)