[drivingpairs] Re: Introduction

  • From: "Karen Johnson" <kjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:12:18 -0700

That sounds like a good plan to me. My pair would be about 31" and for some
reason I have found that to be significantly different, power-wise, than
even my 34" mini. But I'll bet two of them can do it. I'm thinking of
getting the single seat VSE cart (very small equine) cart made by Lignite
Carriages. It is only 78 lbs.

Thanks for your advice!

Karen

I'm thinking you should try the pair first. You will be surprised how much
power you have compared to a single (provided your carriage isn't too
heavy). As far as I know, driving a unicorn is much like a tandem, the
leader shouldn't really be pulling (in draft) much anyway, and would be much
more difficult to drive. So you might not have an advantage over the pair.
Neck collars are a good idea, but only if they fit well. That's really hard
to do on the little guys.

I drive a pair of 38", and they can go pretty much anywhere. Where we live
is fairly hilly, but they're rolling hills, not steep ones. They handle it
well. We use breastcollars. If you still want to try the unicorn after fully
exploring the pair, then go for it!

Welcome to the list,

Rachel in BC

I am sorry this is so long-winded; I am usually a more succinct poster, but
I do have a question which precipitated my joining this list. I have been
disappointed that I cannot drive my minis in our terrain. I am thinking that
driving a pair or better yet, unicorn, with all in neck collars, would allow
me to cart them around the hills here. I have never seen a unicorn setup,
however, and need to know what is involved from the equipment and
temperament standpoint, all pros and cons, etc. before I take the next leap.
Any guidance, direction, links, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Karen Johnson (home website: www.twodoghoot.com <http://www.twodoghoot.com/>
)