[softwarelist] Re: [softwarelist] Windows update (OT for list). Was: OvnPro 2.77 type 5 errors

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:55:01 +0000

In message <096f1d1e50.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

FWIW, my Windows machines have been updated with anything offered by
the upgrade program, and so far at any rate I can communicate with (at
least one of) them using the new version of LanMan98. I was worried

Like one of those movies where zombiefication befalls anyone who goes to sleep, the lure of afternoon tea proved too strong and I left my PC alone. Returning I was greeted with the triumphant announcement "Windows updated your computer!".

I know this is true because copying files from RISC OS has stopped working again.

What would be interesting is if the version of Lanman has anything to do with this, I've not updated my Iyonix for a long time. Currently it shows me Lanman version 2.30, 16th. Feb 2004.

Incidentally, I tried my RISC PC earlier today, and that had stopped working too.

Perhaps Drobe could do the story "Crisis for Microsoft as network problems cut Windows off".