[softwarelist] Re: [softwarelist] Re: [softwarelist] Re: [softwarelist] Re: [softwarelist] Windows update (OT for list). Was: OvnPro 2.77 type 5 errors

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:16:54 GMT

In message <f644331e50.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <9ec72e1e50.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Apologies if following up my own followup to my own message upsets
you...

The following is part of the info from Microsoft about the update
KB957687 which went out yesterday, and appears to be causing some
problems.
====
This security update resolves two privately reported vulnerabilities
and one publicly disclosed vulnerability in Microsoft Server Message
Block (SMB) Protocol. The vulnerabilities could allow remote code
execution on affected systems. An attacker who successfully exploited
these vulnerabilities could install programs; view, change, or delete
data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Firewall best
practices and standard default firewall configurations can help
protect networks from attacks that originate outside the enterprise
perimeter. Best practices recommend that systems that are connected to
the Internet have a minimal number of ports exposed.

This security update is rated Critical for all supported editions of
Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003, and
Moderate for all supported editions of Windows Vista, and Windows
Server 2008. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and
Non-Affected Software, in this section.

The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by validating the
fields inside the SMB packets. For more information about the
vulnerabilities, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection
for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section,
Vulnerability Information.
====
In other words, there are changes to the SMB server within Windows. I
would not be surprised therefore if it caused problems for non-Windows
systems emulating SMB.

However my tests with and without the patch fail in exactly the same
way, just sooner without the patch than with it.

Make of that what you will.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx