[softwarelist] Re: Windows Vista

  • From: Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:11:27 GMT

In message <e74669b94e.Franz@franz.@fwerner.plus.com>
          Franz Werner <franz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <9b1a4ab94e.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <d1lrbVB+E11FFwXp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <4eb68e34e3dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> writes
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> It would be interesting to know if some human computer interface
>>> researchers have proved that dropping "My Computer" from the backdrop
>>> and sticking it on the start menu (to pick one trivial example) is
>>> better.
>>>
>> Don't know about Vista, but if you right-click on My Computer in the
>> Start menu of XP, there is an option to "Display on Desktop". Same
>> with Internet Explorer.
>>
>> The advantage in both cases over creating your own shortcut is that
>> the right-click menus work on the desktop version as well, e.g. My
>> Computer has Manage, IE has Internet Options.
>>
>> I still haven't found a way to put "Network Neighbourhood" up though.
>>

> Strange. Worked exactly the same here as My Computer (XP Home, SP2).

Unless I've missed something, what you've put up is My Network Places.

WindowsNT4, and I think 2000, has Network Neighbourhood, which
displayed the visible domains. To get to this on XP you start with
Network places, then click on Workgroup Computers, then Show entire
network, then Windows Network. Cumbersome.

Just showing the local workgroup computers is too many steps,
especially as opening Network Places can be very slow when there are
problems, which is precicely when you usually want to see the local
workgroup, for example to find out if there is one.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx