[softwarelist] Windows Vista

  • From: Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:37:46 +0000 (GMT)

In article <d1lrbVB+E11FFwXp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> In message <4eb68e34e3dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> writes
> >In XP I know where OvPro is Saving Macros and the default document, but
> >in Vista I have absolutely no idea where they are being put, and even
> >Searching doesn't reveal the location.

> C:\Users\David Pilling\AppData\Roaming\DavidPilling\OvationPro

> Replace the first "David Pilling" with your user name.

Thanks for that, I'd searched and searched, though I did use this
supposedly new and magnificent Search facility MS have incorporated into
the OS, it only found the ones inside the OVPro install directory.

> I only found this by using search (looking for !Choices.csc). I presume
> the usual catches apply, you have to be able to search for system/hidden
> files and you have to be able to see them.

One of my first jobs with a new install/computer is turn on hidden and Sys
files.

> In my brief experience I've found Vista to be OK. Installation was very
> easy.

> They're probably the nicest windows (small w) yet. However a window is a
> window. They look nicer than Gem (circa 1987) do they let me do anything
> more though. With XP I always changed back to classic view before the
> desktop equivalent of "snow blindness" set in. I think I can live with
> the default settings in Vista.

I'm always returning things to classic view, particularly Control Panel
etc.

> Windows seems to work in a slightly different way. I think that may be
> one reason why installation has to be so easy. Users are going to have
> to relearn some stuff.

I think, if you are just a Joe Bloggs User, and don't know, care, have any
interest in what goes on behind the pretty front, Vista is going to be the
thing.
Me... I want to know where things hang out, where they get put, I like to
mess with my Toys... Unfortunately they've messed a lot with the UI on
Vista, and "Fings ain't where they used ter be." So I am having to do some
re-learning.

My really, really big urine off with Vista is the number of directories
that I can't access/open even look in, and I only own the computer and am
the administrator, I really would be interested in how I can get rid of
all that MS Nanny stuff and have all of my computer returned to ME.

> It would be interesting to know if some human computer interface
> researchers have proved that dropping "My Computer" from the backdrop
> and sticking it on the start menu (to pick one trivial example) is
> better.

After many years of using MS Software, I've come to the conclusion there
is very little customer driven rational thinking done by the MS UI
designers.
Style over substance comes to mind, and doubly so with Vista.
Doesn't matter if it works badly, as long as it looks pretty.

> They could try dropping the QWERTY keyboard in the next version - it'd
> be a change for everyone and be more logical.

> At least the <expletive> animated dog didn't appear when I used search.

Hehehehe! good one.

Thanks
Dave S