[softwarelist] Re: Windows Vista

  • From: Philip Ingram <prpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:08:55 GMT

In message <NPpPV+ASOPyFFwOQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone any experience of running my Windows software on Vista?

I use OP under RiscOS but following this query, I downloaded the web version
and tried it under Vista-RC1 (effectively an early version of Ultimate) and
XP Home SP2. From what I can see so far, the results under Vista are
compatible with those under RiscOS and XP. By this I mean that the output
under Vista looks the same as under XP even though it is not always the same
as that for that document under RiscOS. I suspect that this is caused by font
differences causing different text flow arrangemenst and will check further.
OPW installs just as easily under Vista as it does under XP.

David has expressed concern over which version of Vista to buy. Home Basic is
not sensible for a developer as you will not see the "Aero" screen that
customers with higher priced versions will see. Home Premium gives the "Aero"
screen and the Media Center [sic] function. The great advantage of Ultimate
for a developer is that it is the only version that you are allowed to use in
a virtual environment. Unlike previous versions of Windows, the distribution
media contains the code for every version. The product key determines which
features are unlocked. If you buy "Home Premium" and decide you want to
upgrade, you can buy an upgrade key, reinsert your DVD and install the
additional features. I haven't seen prices quoted for this yet.

Regards,

Philip

--
Philip Ingram