[softwarelist] Re: Windows Vista

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:02:22 +0000

In message <4eb68e34e3dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

In XP I know where OvPro is Saving Macros and the default document, but in
Vista I have absolutely no idea where they are being put, and even
Searching doesn't reveal the location.

C:\Users\David Pilling\AppData\Roaming\DavidPilling\OvationPro

Replace the first "David Pilling" with your user name.

I only found this by using search (looking for !Choices.csc). I presume the usual catches apply, you have to be able to search for system/hidden files and you have to be able to see them.

In my brief experience I've found Vista to be OK. Installation was very easy.

They're probably the nicest windows (small w) yet. However a window is a window. They look nicer than Gem (circa 1987) do they let me do anything more though. With XP I always changed back to classic view before the desktop equivalent of "snow blindness" set in. I think I can live with the default settings in Vista.

Windows seems to work in a slightly different way. I think that may be one reason why installation has to be so easy. Users are going to have to relearn some stuff.

It would be interesting to know if some human computer interface researchers have proved that dropping "My Computer" from the backdrop and sticking it on the start menu (to pick one trivial example) is better.

They could try dropping the QWERTY keyboard in the next version - it'd be a change for everyone and be more logical.

At least the <expletive> animated dog didn't appear when I used search.