[softwarelist] Re: Windows Vista

  • From: Philip Ingram <prpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:58:15 GMT

In message <8c1zRNFyjd2FFwpE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <00f601c75444$78e6cf10$cf420756@TEDLACEY2>, Arthur Lacey
> <tedell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >The adverts for Vista show upgrade versions.  Are these for upgrading
> >from one version to a higher one or from XP?
>
>  From XP?

Early "Upgrade" versions have a widely documented flaw that allows them to be
used to perform clean installations though the licence will be technically
invalid.

> Apparently in the long run it will be possible to pay online to upgrade
> between different versions of Vista. So if you have Home Basic you can
> upgrade to Home Premium. All that happens is that you get a new
> registration code.
>
> The cheapest way of getting Vista is to buy an OEM version - around 75
> quid all inc for Home Premium. However Personal Computer World points
> out that these may be considered to be limited to one piece of hardware
> so you might not be able to move them to another computer in the future.

OEM licences are effectively locked to the motherboard on which they were
first installed. The activation process collects info about your system. If
the system changes by enhancement, e.g. you add another disk drive or more
memory, you are unlikely to have problems with activation. If you try moving
it to another motherboard, you will have to talk to the MS activation people
and persuade them to let you move it to another board. As their job is to
decline such requests, you might have a problem. By contrast, retail licences
are not so tightly locked. When you move the licence, it will need
reactivation. MS is likely to be rather sceptical if you try moving the
licence more than a couple of times a year.

> The OEM discs only come with 32 or 64 bit code on - contrary to what has
> been said in some places.

It is the full retail version that has both 32 and 64 bit on the same DVD.

> The machine I put Vista on, has a SATA RAID disc (two Serial ATA discs
> connected to form one big disc) and it installed with no problems on a
> second partition. Providing me with a boot menu that lets me boot into
> either XP on the first partition or Vista.
>
> Getting into more dangerous territory I found a partition editor:
>
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php
>
> might be useful, but I didn't use it.
>
> If you have unused space on a disc the tools inside Windows will let you
> create more partitions.

If you are used to using winnt.sif to control the installation process, e.g.
to assign system, data and programs to different partitions, set aside a few
days to learn the new technology. The Automated Install Kit is about 850MB.
It runs under XP Pro or Vista so if you are running XP Home, then you need to
do a temporary Vista installation to generate the instructions for your
production system. Search on WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) if you
plan to try this. Until you have learnt how to use it, it isn't intuitive 8-|

Regards,

Philip

--
Philip Ingram