[softwarelist] Re: Unwanted font definitions

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:16:32 +0100

In message <4fb099961easgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keith Hopper <asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

    Unfortunately neither Plan A nor Plan B work. If I take the default
(empty) document, remove every reference to Trinity from every style - in
fact not setting font changes in any except the Body (which I set to
LondonA - an EFF font) - and save as default. If I load this saved default
and save as DDL then Trinity flavours appear in the font list (together
with the one for LondonA) - BUT nowhere else in the DDL document - which is
empty, of course! LondonA appears, as expected, in the Bodytext style.

You're right. I think the problem is that Trinity is a special case, when DDL is loaded a very basic document is created and the DDL then overwrites it, Trinity is the default font for that document. I don't understand why "flavours" of Trinity are used, in my test it is just one weight.

Plan A would have worked for any font other than this default. I did find that Plan B worked, the only catch there I can think of is that I used OP on Windows.

(Plan B is easy on Windows, the OPW font manager lets you ignore fonts, on RISC OS it would involve removing font files and then rebooting the computer, given the font is Trinity you might find the machine wouldn't reboot...)

There is a case to be made that this doesn't matter - Trinity maps to Times which is a font I assume is present in all PostScript printers and does not need to be saved in the PostScript. However for you maybe it comes back to the weights - all the weights being used, and I guess you having an odd version of the font installed i.e. one with a smallcaps weight.

DDL - with the results I describe above. It doesn't matter even if I quit
and reload OvnPro between saving the default and loading it again.

Counts are per document so quiting and reloading should not make any differentce.

Maybe on RISC OS !FontPrint would be a quick fix, use it to map Trinity.SmallCaps to Trinity.Italic, a harmless reference will be added to your PostScript.