[softwarelist] Re: Unwanted font definitions

  • From: Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:37:18 +0100

In message <JO3YanF3qPXIFwSF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <4fb2e1d238Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Torrens (lists)"
> <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>Yes, having to admit that there is no future in a OS you do like, and
>>moving to an OS you do not, simply to make a living, must be a a major
>>de-motivator.

> RISC OS was far ahead of Microsoft in 1988, it is now far behind.
> There's a lot wrong with RISC OS from a 2008 perspective.

> I have not made a living from Windows, my Windows experience has been
> more dispiriting than my RISC OS one.

>>But you have always been reluctant to do chargeable upgrades for RISC OS.
>>Are there enough changes you could port back into RO to appease your
>>conscience about making an upgrade charge, and are there enough RO users
>>left and willing to pay a charge to make it worth your while?

> My feeling about charging for RISC OS upgrades post 1998 has been that
> to do so was misleading (things were not going to go on for ever).

> Nearly ten years after Acorn. I think I was wrong about a couple of
> things, RISC OS has gone on longer than I expected and I might as well
> have put the four years work that went into Ovation Pro for Windows into
> the RISC OS version.

> Paid for upgrades would not have saved Ovation Pro, the thing that would
> have done, was more users. I needed more people to see the copies in use
> and say "this is fantastic I must have it".

> All this comes back to finding a way forward...

> I'm thinking something like putting the source code into the public
> domain and myself departing to a new venture. However this is easier to
> say than to do.

Do a big update on the Riscos version and charge £50 or maybe a bit
more. I guess many would go for that. After all I pay for Easywriter
updates and only use it 5% of the time compared with OPro.

If you decide to go ahead I know people like Jim Nagel, VA, etc give
backing and free advertising. What do others think, can we have a
response?

Vote my friends