[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs - a new version (1.20)

  • From: Brian Carroll <briancarroll@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:44:56 +0100

In article <5114cd2a4cbriancarroll@xxxxxxx>, Brian Carroll
<briancarroll@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <5114c21d49chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris
> Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> > I assume the 'anomaly' is due to the filer creating
> > directories before filling them with files. Thus the
> > so-called copied directory/ies actually have the timestamp
> > corresponding to the time of their creation.

> Yes, that is a good explanation of what happens.  I still
> would like the newly-created directory to be 'stamped' back to
> its original date-time. Moving a directory, which copies first
> then deletes, appears to preserve the datestamp so it can be
> done.

Further to the discussion following that point, I have done some
more checks, using a NULL:$ filer window that I use sometimes for
a quick deletion (Shift-drag (ie move) a file into it). Using it
to delete a large directory of images of 100Mb+ it is clear that
they are copied into NULL:$ one by one before being deleted one
by one from IDEFS::Gromit.$.Tempdir.11May10.Book1, finally the
directory itself is deleted.  Watching the filer-action window
meanwhile shows that a normal 'read' is done on each file but the
'write' to NULL:$ is practically instantaneous, as expected.

I don't know whether that helps :-)

Brian.