[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs - a new version (1.20)

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 12:17:40 +0100

In message <5112c79db1briancarroll@xxxxxxx>, Brian Carroll <briancarroll@xxxxxxx> writes

Yes it does, plus such things as 'File xxx newer on
<destination>' when they are not.  There is a pair of entries
for each directory entered in the 2 main main fields. I thought
that perhaps the way the synchronisation is done could somehow
accumulate the comparison data.

Could you tell us the file systems in use for primary and secondary?

SD does of course have an option to not copy a file from primary to secondary if the secondary is newer - I wonder what setting you have for that option.

This matters because if you have newer files set to be over-written then compare should not see the secondary file as newer.

Do you remember how big the time difference is on these files - what I'm getting at is that some file systems have different time resolutions. I maintain that you can't trust the older MS file systems to within an hour - I recall they mess up day light saving in some way.

When I wrote SD back in 1997, it seemed a relatively new idea, at any rate I had nothing to compare it with. By now file synchronisation software has its own wikipedia page and the possibilities are endless. No doubt comparing the actual file data before and after the copy come in the legion of possible features.

I was hired by Acorn in 1997 to write CSFS - client server file system, for the NC - network computer. The idea was there was a file system in the NC and periodically it was synchronised to a server. Anyway not a huge leap of imagination to SD.