[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:14:25 +0200

In message <1DgBGoD9DzQGFw10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <4ee0d179eajohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Cartmell
> >I thought that was a good idea but I've had two pack up on me (HD in cradle
> >in
> >RiscPC) and they were the only hard drives that have died on me excepting
> >those that were killed by a mis-wired power lead. 5V <-> 12V isn't happy. ;-(
>
> It is anecdotal, but I have had RISC PC configurations that seemed to
> give short HD lifetimes - I would say because it was too hot inside.

 My personal experience has it that consumer HDs produced after ~'99
i.e. gigabytes can be expected to die after 4 years.

Regards
--
Martin Vethake
Uffenkamp Computer Systeme

snailmail: Uffenkamp Computer Systeme
           Gartenstr. 3
           D-32130 Enger-Dreyen
Inhaber: Kai Uffenkamp  USt.-ID-Nr. DE 125 408 721
email    : martinv@xxxxxx
web      : http://www.ucs.de/
voice    : +49-5224-978075
fax      : +49-5224-978076