[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:12:46 +0200

In message <4ee0c5ac7ffrank@xxxxxxxx>
          Frank Watkinson <frank@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4ee0b96c9edfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> That is something I was wondering about, just how do you format a
>> USB drive as RO...

If the drive is attached to an Iyonix, you use Castle's SCSIForm
formatter (it is likely that this works with the Castle USB podule as
well). I do not think other interfaces (Simtec USB/UniPod) support
RISC OS formatted devices at all, but you can tell: If they do you
should have received a special formatter from the vendor.

>> I obviously haven't tried it yet, but I was wondering... If it could
>> be formatted RO  connected to the Win PC and via VRPC?

No, definitely not. VRPC does not emulate USB ports, so the emulated
copy of RISC OS has no chance of seeing the device. Of course, you can
access external USB hard discs using VRPC by mapping them in using
HostFS, but then Windows handles the device.

> Is it possible to create (say) three NTFS partitions and one RISC OS
> partition on a USB connected external drive? That seems like one big
> hurdle to me.

No.

I think we are rapidly digressing from anything even remotely on topic
for this list so I suggest posting further questions elsewhere (e.g.,
comp.sys.acorn.misc or comp.sys.acorn.hardware).

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx