[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 16:57:00 +0200

In message <13a54ce04e.martinv@xxxxxx>
          Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <9ad1ebdf4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <4edc1b0ac4frank@xxxxxxxx>
>>           Frank Watkinson <frank@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > While aiming to make backup to an external USB hard drive, I created a
>> > Zip file so that filetypes would be preserved.
>>
>> Using SparkFS? Does that not take ages? I do not really think that
>> this approach is sensible. But I cannot see why it should be necessary
>> anyway. Would it not be easier to format your external USB hard drive
>> to RISC OS format? Actually, if it is bigger than 2GB you will need to
>> do that anyway to make use of its size. So, I cannot see any situation
>> where that would make sense unless you have a directly attached
>> external FAT-formatted USB hard drive with 2GB or less that you also
>> want to use on a non-RISC OS machine and that seems very unlikely.
>>
> [snip]
> IMHO I'd rather leave the USB stick alone (if it is flash it is not
> advisable to change the partition format)

Franke wrote "external USB hard drive", so it is not a USB stick and
not Flash. Nevertheless, I cannot see his problem - either, the hard
drive is directly attached via USB and DOS formatted, then it is
limited to 2GB anyway, so even if SparkFS could create larger Zip
files it would not have helped. Or, the drive is RISC OS formatted or
it is is attached via the network, then the filetypes are preserved
even without zipping.

> and use !FCFS to backup my RISC OS stuff. Without compression it is
> quite fast and it preserves my filetypes.

FCFS used to be nice, but Frank is on RISC OS 5, so it is of no use.
Besides, if the problem is that the overall data is larger than 2GB,
then it will not help anyway.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx