[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 21:43:48 +0200

In message <4edc1b0ac4frank@xxxxxxxx>
          Frank Watkinson <frank@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While aiming to make backup to an external USB hard drive, I created a
> Zip file so that filetypes would be preserved.

Using SparkFS? Does that not take ages? I do not really think that
this approach is sensible. But I cannot see why it should be necessary
anyway. Would it not be easier to format your external USB hard drive
to RISC OS format? Actually, if it is bigger than 2GB you will need to
do that anyway to make use of its size. So, I cannot see any situation
where that would make sense unless you have a directly attached
external FAT-formatted USB hard drive with 2GB or less that you also
want to use on a non-RISC OS machine and that seems very unlikely.

> [...]
>
> Another re-boot. Menu->ZipFile->Count gave 2.1nn-something Gigabytes.
>
> Is that size the problem?

Yes. SparkFS implements an image filing system. The size limit for a
file handled using such a filing system is 2GB. In case SparkFS fails
to check for that limit it is not surprising that there is a crash.

And yes, such a crash would usually mean that the Filer is killed, so
no surprises there.

So, the bottom line is that you cannot create zip files larger than
2GB using SparkFS. You could, in theory, create zip files larger than
that using other tools, e.g., InfoZip, but please bear in mind that
the overall RISC OS limit for file sizes in general is 4GB, so that is
a hard limit.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx