[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 17:15:04 +0200

In message <be6555e04e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <13a54ce04e.martinv@xxxxxx>
>           Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <9ad1ebdf4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Using SparkFS? Does that not take ages? I do not really think that
> >> this approach is sensible. But I cannot see why it should be necessary
> >> anyway. Would it not be easier to format your external USB hard drive
> >> to RISC OS format? Actually, if it is bigger than 2GB you will need to
> >> do that anyway to make use of its size. So, I cannot see any situation
> >> where that would make sense unless you have a directly attached
> >> external FAT-formatted USB hard drive with 2GB or less that you also
> >> want to use on a non-RISC OS machine and that seems very unlikely.
> >>
> > [snip]
> > IMHO I'd rather leave the USB stick alone (if it is flash it is not
> > advisable to change the partition format)
>
> Franke wrote "external USB hard drive", so it is not a USB stick and
> not Flash. Nevertheless, I cannot see his problem - either, the hard
> drive is directly attached via USB and DOS formatted, then it is
> limited to 2GB anyway, so even if SparkFS could create larger Zip
> files it would not have helped. Or, the drive is RISC OS formatted or
> it is is attached via the network, then the filetypes are preserved
> even without zipping.
>
> > and use !FCFS to backup my RISC OS stuff. Without compression it is
> > quite fast and it preserves my filetypes.
>
> FCFS used to be nice, but Frank is on RISC OS 5, so it is of no use.
> Besides, if the problem is that the overall data is larger than 2GB,
> then it will not help anyway.
>
> Martin
 I was just thinking it's quite a good idea to use the most popular
filing-system but then again You will lose Your filetypes as soon
as You touch (copy, move) those files with, say, Windows.

 I read 'backup' and completely missed the 'hard drive' part. What
exactly is the point in making backups on a _hard-drive_ that is
mobile but can't be taken anywhere?

Regards
--
Martin Vethake
Uffenkamp Computer Systeme

snailmail: Uffenkamp Computer Systeme
           Gartenstr. 3
           D-32130 Enger-Dreyen
Inhaber: Kai Uffenkamp  USt.-ID-Nr. DE 125 408 721
email    : martinv@xxxxxx
web      : http://www.ucs.de/
voice    : +49-5224-978075
fax      : +49-5224-978076