[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:09:24 +0100

In article <c$qNGgI8uNYIFwLb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

Some of the things you have said here leave me more than somewhat baffled,
more so as this thread has 'progressed'.

> One problem is that there is an awful lot that could be added. Ask 20
> different people and you'll get 20 different suggestions, all of them
> reasonable.

True, but a list hasn't been forthcoming so far.

> The problem is that there is no single improvement which would make the
> program instantly viable.

> My current disillusion with Windows is due to the realisation that years
> of work are now needed just to add the basic requirements.

That seems to be more than slightly paradoxical. Surely, the development
of OvatPro has already progressed well beyond what might be called the
basic requirements. It would, therefore, be interesting to know what you
have in mind.

> Often in the past people have said "add feature A and I will buy it",
> having added A they then turn around and say "do you seriously expect me
> to use a program that lacks feature B".

Yes.

> >Why not make DDL standard OvPro format and leave the binary one for

> Because for most users this would make no difference.

Here I profoundly disagree. I think that /might/ apply to current users,
in the main, but the very constraint offered by legacy file formats is I
feel the very reason preventing the expansion of the use of RISC OS
software on this and other platforms. It is certainly a significant
obstacle to my current work and is costing me more than just a little in
time, effort and money in overcoming problems.

It occurs to me to speculate whether a form of open sourcing of OvatPro,
similar to Iyonix open sourcing of RISC OS 5, retaining some commercial
control of the code, but allowing others to continue further development,
might work. Just thinking out loud.