[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:04:55 +0100

In article <c$qNGgI8uNYIFwLb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

[snip]

> One interesting aspect of the demise of Acorn was how many documents
> must have been dumped along with all the computers in schools. This
> discussion began with me talking about getting someone's book from
> Impression to Word format. It is hard to believe that no one wrote a
> Word translator in about 1995. It is perhaps a bit late now.

Whilst I should be /very glad/ to contribute my £sd to an update what you
say here is highly relevant. I suspect that a project I am currently
working on will shortly require submissions in either QuarkXpress or
InDesign. How does one deal with that? I haven't yet got OvatPW and how
far would I get with file transfer to an alien file format anyway from
RISC OS in this context?

Equally, I am unhappy at the suggestion of a particular commercial
approach/model for an update, which may not work at all. No doubt David
already knows what does or does not work for him in that regard. Perhaps
he might wish to share his views with us on this aspect of OvatPro
development to move the discussion forward.